Wednesday, September 17, 2008

Wire, soap and conduits


Today I went to Queen Anne to work at someone's house with Don, the electrical guy I mentioned before. John, the homeowner, is building a Tea House in the upper part of his property, and he needs electricity in it! So what ended up taking most of the day was just getting all the wiring through conduits from the garage where the main circuit breaker is (above), all the way up to the tea house. This included running the wire through a number of unnecessary J(junction?)-Boxes. And every time we got to a gap where there's a junction box or the conduit ends, we had to pull the wire all the way out and then put the end into the next conduit.
The work mostly comprised of me feeding the wires through to the tube, and Don pulling at the other end (we switched off every so often but he was obviously a better puller than I). Every so often, I squirted a little bit of "soap" (basically a lubrication to help ease the wires through) onto the wire before passing it through the tube. As you can see, the top left conduits in the 2 upper of the 3 pictures feature the fish tape, a metal wire that we hook onto the end of the group of electrical wiring to pull it through (obviously our hands aren't that long or skinny!).

I'd say that for my first day working on electrical, I learned quite a bit!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I think with this sort of work, you could become a strong worker in no time:)
Remember to blog about what you learned about becoming a journeyman.